Once known simply as “The Street,” Main Street is one of Greenville’s two original roads, making it the backbone of the area for more than 250 years. During the nineteenth century, downtown began to develop in earnest. The first Greenville and Columbia Railroad train arrived on Augusta Road in December 1853, granting Greenville easy access to the rest of the state. Several industries sprung up along the Reedy River shortly after, including corn mills, ironworks, a paper factory, an armory, and the Gower, Cox, and Markley Coach Factory. Today, Main Street attracts locals and visitors alike. Its nineteen nationally registered historic buildings along the four-mile artery include the Liberty Building and the Westin Poinsett Hotel.

Author